Thursday, January 28, 2016

Unit 5 Reflection


     Unit 5 was about the digestive system, endocrine system, and lymphatic system. We learned about the organs involved in the systems and all their functions. To further understand the digestive system we measured our alimentary canal and made it with string and ribbon. We learned about fuel metabolism and the fed, fasting, and starvation states. We went over how our organs work in different conditions, for example how the brain uses glucose for fuel and the muscles can use glucose, fatty acids, and ketone bodies for fuel. We learned a lot about insulin and glucagon, two hormones that regulate blood glucose levels. A big part of this unit was about diabetes, which I didn't know much about at first. Now I have a greater understanding of the way insulin works in our bodies and how diabetes can be caused by so many different factors such as genetics, stress, and physical inactivity.


     I enjoyed learning about the body systems because they were pretty straightforward. I struggled a little with understanding fuel metabolism because there were so many steps and hormones that played a part in the whole process. I wanted to learn more about metabolism and lactose intolerance and I got the chance to when we had researched and discussed articles in class. So far I have been keeping up with my New Year's goals. I still need to work on getting 7-8 hours of sleep everyday but I have cut down on my screen time.

No comments:

Post a Comment